This section contains scenes of violence and other explicit material.

Enter
Format: Vinyl 12", inlay w/ liner notes by Aneta Panek
Artist: Mona Mur
Release date: June 30, 2023
Musical production: Grzegorz Ciechowski (Republika)
Orchestra arrangements: Krzesimir Debski
Recorded at: Studio Woronicza S4, Warsaw, in 1989-90
Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Krzesimir Debski
Sound engineer, programming & keyboards: Rafael Paczkowski
Executive producer: Dieter Meier
Photographs by: Wolfgang Nee, Jan Riephoff
Limited to 300 copies

Upon request, those who buy the record at our store will receive the download files once they have completed their purchase.

More info

pl-140
vinyl-12

26.00 €

”When I shot my movie Lightmaker in Poland,
I was a devoted fan of Mona Mur.
When I heard the music of Grzegorz Ciechowski,
I had a dream.
I wanted to marry them in a production with Grzegorz’ musical ideas,
Mona’s divine voice and a symphony orchestra.
The dream has now become a reality.
The comet is hitting the planet.”

Dieter Meier

MONA MUR: WARSAW

In 1989, before the wall came down, Mona Mur and her producer Dieter Meier (YELLO) came to Poland. Under the musical direction of Polish rockstar Grzegorz Ciechowski (Republika) and with renowned Polish musicians, arrangers and the Warsaw Symphony Orchestra, she recorded her album WARSAW in early 1990.

“WARSAW deals with the old topic of love as a marginal experience. Why does this intrigue me? Because this is how I experienced it at a very young age. There is hardly a more relevant subject for me as an artist, maybe apart from war. Both confront you with the possibility of annihilation.” Mona Mur

During six months of production in Warsaw, from September 1989 to March 1990, Mona Mur observes historical changes in Europe and the whole world. The recordings take place at Polish Television’s studio – 10 songs of great intensity, three of which are given genre-redefining orchestration by Krzesimir Debski. Producer Dieter Meier is enchanted.

But WARSAW faces challenges. Its release does not happen as planned. Mona Mur‘s record company back then, German RCA, feels the album is not mainstream enough. More illustrious bidders follow, including Stevo Pearce of Some Bizarre, then the album vanishes.

In 2000, four of Mona Mur‘s songs from WARSAW are covered by Polish singer Katarzyna Groniec on her album “Mężczyźni“ (SONY). Producer: Grzegorz Ciechowksi. The album gets high chart rankings, the single with Mona‘s song “Paintings“ (polish: “Dzięki za miłość”) sells over 70,000 copies.

Soon after, in late 2001, producer Gzegorz Ciechowski dies suddenly at the age of only 44, under tragic circumstances. His work as a musician, singer, frontman and rock poet is unique in Poland. An annual memorial concert in the medieval city of Torun, as well as several new interpretations of the "Republika" hits keep the memory of "Citizen GC" alive. In 2011, Mona Mur is invited to Torun, where she performs live with Grzegorz Ciechowski's band members.

Finally, in 2015, Mona Mur’s album WARSAW is released by Mystic Productions, but only on CD and exclusively in Poland.

play loud! continues the publication of Mona Mur’s back catalog by releasing the album for the first time worldwide, digitally and on vinyl.

MONA MUR IN CONVERSATION

To celebrate Mona Mur’s outstanding artistic career, play loud! is not only re-releasing some of her records, but also will also be presenting her old videos, photos and unreleased sound recordings as a film. We created a virtual jukebox in a studio setting and invited Mona Mur to watch and discuss with filmmaker DP together watched footage spanning her entire course of her musical career. During the in-depth conversation, Mur gave her personal perspective on her career. Typical of play loud!’s approach, it was an open-ended experiment.

- More Mona Mur music on play loud:
Mona Mur: The Original Band (1984-86) (LP, DL)
Mona Mur: The Original Band Live at NDR (DL)
Mona Mur: Live at K44 Berlin (DL)
Mona Mur: Mona Mur (2021) (LP, CD, DL)
The Fermin Paradox: Soundtrack (2022) (DL)
Delinquent (2019) (CD)
Those Days Are Over (2018) (CD)
120 Tage - The Fine Art of Beauty and Violence (2009) (CD)
Do With Me What You Want (2011) (CD)
Snake Island (2022) (CD)

Cart  

No products

0.00 € Shipping
0.00 € Tax
0.00 € Total

Prices are tax included

Check out

PayPal