This section contains scenes of violence and other explicit material.

Enter
Format: Vinyl 12", includes DVD of a gig in Rotterdam in 1984 (NTSC, region-free) + liner notes by Stephen Murphy & lyrics.
Artist: Gods Gift
Release date: October 27, 2023
Vocals: Steven Edwards
Guitar: Stephen Murphy
Bass: Iain Grey, Rob Hall & Laura Plant
Drums: Paul Leadbeater, Andy Glentworth, Roy Bebbington & Paul Adams
Limited to 500 copies

Upon request, those who buy the record at our store will receive the download files once they have completed their purchase.

Gods Gift guitar player Steve Murphy compiled 11 songs for what will be their first LP ever.

Más

pl-138
vinilo-12

28.00 €

play loud! is releasing the entire recordings of the Manchester post-punk band GODS GIFT (1979-1984), some for the first time ever. John Peel was a fan. Mark E. Smith too. Gods Gift guitar player Steve Murphy compiled 11 songs for what will be their first LP ever. Includes DVD with live show in Rotterdam.
Available for pre-order soon.
Stay tuned!

Excerpt from the album´s liner notes by Stephen Murphy (Gods Gift´s co-founder & guitar player):

"Manchester was almost cave-like somehow, like a giant tunnel of grim half-light. It seemed as if it was always dark and always raining. The buildings were either grey or shades of grey and that made it a very oppressive atmosphere to inhabit. I think a lot of people of our age reacted to this bleakness and responded accordingly. It was the time of Thatcher of course and there was the added horror of a quite horrendous Manchester chief of police called James Anderton, who was referred to, mockingly, as God's Cop. He disliked everything and anything that could make life remotely enjoyable and had a special hatred of homosexuals. I wouldn’t lend any weight to his history but I would advise anybody to read about the things he said, whilst bearing in mind he was actually the Police Chief of our city and listened only to God. He hated any sort of difference in people and that didn't fit well with a very working-class city. Those years and the way we lived and were brought up made our stance very anti-authoritarian. I think that the coming together of these shoots of miserable city life and working 60 hours a week in a Victorian asylum were defining factors for the appearance of Gods Gift. Such an era, such a bleak city, such a miserable lack of self-determination festering in a gothic workplace, with its innate mental health horrors, it truly created some strange feelings and opinions for us."

• 01 Discipline

04:27

• 02 Jaquelines Admission

05:41

• 03 Good and Evil

04:35

• 04 Plague of Dreams

04:59

• 05 Anaesthetic

04:07

• 06 Clamour Club

02:33